Re: [MacPerl] $^O stickiness

At 19.48 12/23/97, Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. wrote:
>When MacPerl is executed, a set of global variables is
>defined and then MacPerl goes into a cycle which simply
>waits for a command and, if none is forthcoming, it acts
>nice and lets the MacOS do something.  This cycle continues
>until you say to execute a program.  MacPerl then loads
>that program into memory and jumps to the beginning of the
>program.  However, it doesn't re-initialize the globally
>defined variables because that is done when MacPerl is
>first loaded.  Once defined, all of the $<whatever> special
>variables are simply used.

But as I took pains to note in the last message, other globals ARE reset to
the default values between script invocations.  Only $^O is not (that I
have found).

>I had seen something like this before with the $|
>command, but just took it as that was how Perl was supposed
>to run under the Mac's OS.  Probably a bad assumption on my
>part - but I didn't really care.

In the current version of MacPerl, the value of $| does not stick between
invocations of scripts, either.

--
Chris Nandor               pudge@pobox.com           http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])