Re: [MacPerl] All these new updates to MacPerl...

At 06.48 98.01.11, Amitava Basu wrote:
>I tried to run the first script from Learning MacPerl which goes
>like this.  I compiled the script under MacPerl 5.1or2. This has
>been drawan from"Learning Perl" by Randal Schwartz and Tom
>Christiansen.  When I run the script it shows nothing other
>than the "syntax" ok.  Do I need to have a news version?
>
>#!/usr/bin/perl -w
>print "What is your name?";
>$naem = <STDIN>;
>chomp ($naem);
>if ($name eq "Randal") {
>print "Hello,Randal!  How good of you to be here!\n";
>}  else {
>print "Hello, $name!\n";
>}

Well, aside from your problem of $name vs. $name, this works fine under the
current version of MacPerl (5.1.8r4).  And while older versions of MacPerl
are largely unsupported, your code above should work fine under older
versions of MacPerl.  That said, it sounds like instead of running the
script you are checking its syntax.

--
Chris Nandor               pudge@pobox.com           http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])