[MacPerl] ansii terminal I/O?

Third and hopefully final newbee question before diving into the next book
"web client programming with perl":
Q- Is there a way other than using some Danalli(sp) x-function to direct
the standard I/O to a terminal window that does full cursor control?
-  I downloaded the ansii-color perl module. It works. Well, I have it
printing the ansii command characters to a seperate window  of the perl
standard out. No color, no bold, no cursor control etc. My expectation is
that such would be a common interface across platforms just by directing
the I/O to an appropriate ansii terminal handler on each platform.
- I built a similar html colorizer which will later allow me to use a local
browser as the standard I/O. But so far I have to output an html file and
then drop that on the already open browser window. No user input of course.