Re: [MacPerl] Script size limit?

>>Then i tried to edit it and MacPerl said it's too big so i could either edit
>>it in some other program or save it as text.

>MacPerl's text editor buffer cannot handle it.  Use the option it gives
>you: edit it in another program.  It will open the text resource of the
>droplet in BBEdit for you, and keep it saved as a droplet.

I've had the same question for a long time, and have finally hit upon a
very workable solution. BTW, I'm assuming that the major reason for
wanting to open the script in MacPerl is to check syntax. Accept my
apologies if this is not the case.

I use the extensions for BBEdit that allow you to open MacPerl files of
ANY type - text, cgi, runtime, or droplet. You can syntax check files this
way, and run test files *locally* (I do web work mostly), and catch the
output in BBEdit or MacPerl. A GREAT addition is the ability to write
Perl scripts that can be used as BBEdit filters. Using this method, you
can merge all the superior text editing capabilities of BBEdit with MacPerl's
excellent perl environment. In fact, I would like to see tighter integration
of the two, as they seem to work together very well.

<ASIDE> If anybody has used Macromedia's Dreamweaver which is FULLY
integrated with BBEdit, you will appreciate what I am saying.
</ASIDE>

Along the same lines, what is a sane practical file size limit for Perl routines
in general? Is it better to write one big script with decision trees at the top
or have several smaller routines that handle specific tasks. I am talking
pretty exclusively about scripts for web sites here, mostly for Unix servers.

Thanks for any info and have a great day,

Jon

Jon Lucenius
MultiMedia Director

JCL Associates - Quality Dynamic Technology
 - Custom Progamming
  - Graphic Design
   - Interface Development

JCL Associates