Re: [MacPerl] Problems with AFM::Font

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 02:22:57 -0600, Jim Miner wrote:

Thanks, Jim. This was all very useful information. I'll roll your patches
in and send both you and Matthias a copy of the result. You'll get full
credit, of course, and I'll also put pointers to the Adobe FTP and Web
sites in the file and on my MacPerl page. Seems to me that the Mac Fonts
folder is the last place we should search. Personally, I'm not going to
keep the .afm's I just downloaded there

>There are applications -- such as the one I'm working on :) --
>that use the AFM file for a font without actually using the font
>itself.  I can use AFM files for fonts that are not installed on
>my Mac.

Yes, I'm familiar with the basic concept from TeX's .tfm files, which
serve a similar purpose. TeX can function without the actual fonts being
available so long as the tfm's are there. .tfm's are much smaller than the
actual fonts, although I don't know if they are plain text like the .afm's
are.

>Thanks for the thoughtful comments!  I think the ball is back
>in Paul and Matthias's court.

Yep, I'll make the changes tonight and send the results to you. I can also
now tweak the LWP test for Font::AFM so that I can actually run it, now
that I have .afm's to play with. Thanks very much for the pointers.

>--
>Jim Miner          jfm@winternet.com           +1 612 729 1667

-------
Paul J. Schinder