[MacPerl] Perl and VT100 animation

I'm teaching an after school programming class at my local
middle school and we'd like to use Perl to create some VT100
animations.  We have found lots of these files on the Web,
but have yet to find a good description of how to create
them.  The files consist of VT100 escape character sequences
that specify the column and row for where to display the
characters on the screen, etc.  I suppose we could create such
a file by printing out the octal values of the the escape
characters to a file and then using backticks to "cat" the
file?  Has anyone played with this at all?  Is there a way
to print the VT100 lines directly from Perl instead of using
the system "cat" and can we do this in MacPerl you think?  Also,
I hear that Perl/TK robot animation exists somewhere and that
MacPerl Perl/TK is coming?
  Thanks,
 -John

--John F. Bremer Jr.
Boeing SSGARTSO (AR&T Computing Support), phone (425) 865-3382
"I speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to men,
German to my horse, and Perl to my computer" Charles V, The Wise