[MacPerl] Public Beta Release of MacPerl 5.2.0r4b1

Due to the imminent deadline of the book CD, I'd like to get as much feedback
as possible for the release going on this CD, so if you can spare the time &
bandwidth, I'd appreciate your testing this release & giving me feedback on it.

The beta release is available on ftp://err.ethz.ch/pub/neeri/MacPerl/Beta/ and
probably will have a lifetime of about one week. You might also notice that
I've started signing releases, so you're welcome to match the signatures with
your sekrit decoder ring^W^W^Wcopy of PGP 5.x. I've only verified on Macs; it
would be interesting to hear whether the uploaded MacBinaries also match
correctly (I've had some problems with this in the past, as some FTP programs
don't clean out unused MacBinary headers).

5.2.0r4b1 05Apr98
 - Added Mac::QuickTimeVR [Christian Dippel], Mac::Sound [Kevin Lenzo] and
   Mac::TextEdit modules.
 - AppleScript version property was stuck at 5.1.0 [Stephan Somogyi].
 - Edit menu commands while a MacPerl window was in front would crash [Sean
Burke].
 - Adapted code to latest version of Universal Headers.
 - Drawing into a non-front window would sometimes go to the wrong window
   [Alan Fry].
 - Complex toolbox using scripts suffered from massive reentrancy problems in
   the event handlers. As a consequence, even handling has now been
substantially
	reorganized: As soon as active event handling is turned on with use
Mac::Events.
	Only explicit calls to WaitNextEvent or ModalDialog will get and handle
events.
	[Chris Nandor].
 - If no Internet Config handler for pod is installed, MacPerl will now
silently
   install Shuck [John Draper].
 - Opening a file in the external editor now brings that editor to the front
   [Paul DuBois].
 - MacPerl would provoke too many mouse moved events.
 - The stack size is now set to a fraction of the application partition size,
   so increasing the application partition can help in cases of massive
   recursion [Elton Hughes].
 - The "lib" directory path is now hardcoded, so tainted code can use libraries
   more easily [Chris Nandor].
 - Another fix for environment variables [Paul Schinder].
 - Under obscure circumstances, file handles would get confused across script
   boundaries [Angus McIntyre].
 - Disabled -u option, which would not do anything reasonable on a Mac
   [Vicki Brown].
 - Updated GD module [Chris Nandor].
 - Various minor fixes to the toolbox modules [Chris Nandor, Alan Fry, Rich
Morin].
 - Added new, not yet documented, API to schedule Perl code for execution at
   interrupt time.

Matthias

   "Evidently the cleaning lady found him slumped over his Macintosh"
                               -- Jay McInerney, _Brightness Falls_