[MacPerl] Memory leaking and macperl

I have run into a bit of a problem.  I have a rather large collection of
packages I use in a OO program that parses a file and then does things with
the data.

When running on a largish file (200k) it will take as much as 15 meg of RAM
(I give Mac Perl 40 to be safe), and when it is completed Mac Perl does not
get the RAM back.

I was under the assumption (very likely incorrectly) that when Perl was
done executing a script it would dump everything in memory circular
references and other strange things be damned.  Is this true?  Or do I have
to be careful to destroy all that I create.

Any advice is appreciated, if more details are needed I will try to oblige.
If this question has been answered a pointer in the right direction would
be lovely.

-M. Christian Hanson, Banta Integrated Media