[MacPerl] Re: memory leaks?

PETER@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu, mac-perl@iis.ee.ethz.ch
Subj:	Re: memory leaks?

Peter Furmonavicius wrote:

> Hi.  I want to have a perl script backup a file once a day on one of my
> servers.  Should I have the script run continuously?  Is it better to
> have the script run just once a day?  If it runs all the time, should I
> worry about RAM memory leakage and the system eventually running out of
> memory?
>
> Does anyone have an example of a script that 'does something'
> once a day at a specific time?
>
> Thanks in advance.  - peter

You certianly *could* do this in perl - and I think folks have.
However, the even without memory[1] leaks, MacPerl itself can use a lot
of memory and you may not wish to allocate as much as it wants to chew
for this type of task (the memory hogging of perl could conceivably
improve with threading et al but that is a ways off).

One thing recommended to me was to use a shareware version of cron
for the Mac (available from Mac-Info sites IIRC).  I used it
(years ago now) to have a MacPerl script retreive a "daily report"
type web page every morning at 4:00 AM with no trouble.  To re-iterate:
the scheduling was done by "cron", sockets and file handling was
done by MacPerl.  This might be the way for you to proceed.

Peter Prymmer

[1] not to imply that MacPerl has memory leaks - a lot of effort goes
intoclosing any.