Re: [MacPerl] Timeout script

At 11:39 AM -0500 on 4/8/98, Tim Harty wrote:

> I am also looking for something like this. Maybe even with the ability to
>change the
> timeout length depending on the username and password entered!
>
> Philippe de Rochambeau wrote:
>
> > I am currently looking for a way to log off somebody from a
>restricted-access
> > server after a length of time lasting a few minutes. For instance, once the
> > user has typed in his user id and password, a Perl script should let him
> > browse through the website's pages for a total of 3 minutes, after
>which the
> > script would disconnect him.

You can allow a user to voluntarilly "logoff" by writing a script that
returns an error saying that the password is invalid. But doing it on a
timeout method only using the normal user/password method can't be done. If
you need that you need to either make all requests go through your script
and put a session ID in the request or use cookies. An example of the first
woul be something like
http://www.demo.com/myscript/23409834986739857/path/to/page where the
script looks at the line after its name and checks the session ID and then
displays the page if it is still valid.

--
Dana Carson
dcarson@access.digex.net         http://www.access.digex.net/~dcarson/