[MacPerl] Compressing output files

The MacPerl app I'm working on generates raw reports that have to be sent to a central location for processing. These reports can contain one or more HTML files and supporting image files, so I'd like to create a Stuffit-like archive to be attached to the email message.  Any clues how to go about doing this?

I'd like to archive and compress the files using Perl modules rather than by sending AppleEvents to another app like Stuffit, since I can't be sure every client machine will have Stuffit (or the like).

Thanks in advance,
Matt