[MacPerl] FileMaker Pro 4.0 and Apple Events

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck using Apple Events with File Maker
Pro 4.0.  Until recently, I was using 3.0 and I never had a problem sending
events to it.  Now, it seems that I don't get replies.  The symptoms are not
consistent.  Sometimes the event replies, other times the exact same event
doesn't reply.

I tried switching to kAEQueueReply, but FileMaker gets confused.  It's as if
the AppleEvents are going to FileMaker too quickly, so they get processed in
a random order.

Using 5.1.9r4, MacOS 8.1

TIA,
Kevin