Re: [MacPerl] Mac::AppleEvents::Simple feedback

At 14.27 -0500 1998.05.22, John W Baxter wrote:
>One thing that struck me while reading your original message was that
>allowing the
>PARAMETERS, ...
>part of the call to be replaced by a dictionary (keyed by the parameter
>keyword, with special handling to install '----' into the event first,
>probably) might sometimes be handy.

Eventually, I would like to have some sort of matching of AppleScript-style
keywords to Apple Events.  So instead of:

  $obj = 'obj{want:type(cobj), from:null(), form:enum(name), seld:TEXT(@)}';
  do_event(qw/aevt odoc MACS/, "'----': $obj, usin: $obj", $file, $app");

I could do something like:

  do_event(qw/aevt odoc MACS/, $file, {using=>$app});

Somehow the function would have to know what kind of object to make it
into, and it would have to do the aete table translation.  But this kind of
thing (syntax subject to change!) is the goal.  We shouldn't have to know
that 'using' becomes 'usin', or that our file is of type(cobj).

But this is a beginning, I hope.

Everyone who evaluates this module, please keep this type of thing in mind:
how the syntax here might work with a syntax like I've outline above in the
future, or a better syntax that might be more appropriate.

Thanks,

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
MacPerl: Power and Ease (ISBN 1881957322), http://www.ptf.com/macperl/