[MacPerl] Multidimensional array question

Hello everyone!  :-)

Question about multidimensional arrays.  I believe I know the answer to
this but want to make sure.

Why does:

	$a[++$#a][0] = x;
	$a[$#a][1] = y;

Not work?  I get back:

	ARRAY(blah,blah,blah)

instead of the value of "x".

My theory is that with multidimensional arrays you have to do the
increment outside of the array because otherwise the pointers are not in
place before the values are used.  Like so:

	$#a++;

At least, the first example gives me back that ARRAY stuff and the
second one gives me back my values.

TIA!  :-)