Re: [MacPerl] Multidimensional array question

At 15.48 -0500 1998.05.28, Mark Manning/Simulacron I wrote:
>My only comment back is that I think this shows that there isn't a
>variable name which is linked to more than the first subscript.

Yes there is.  $#array.  You seem to think that there is really such a
thing as a multidimensional array in Perl; there is not.  There are arrays
of references.  So for the "second subscript", you need to get the "$#" for
that array that is referenced.  And since you probably don't have a name
for it, you either have to create a name (a la my second example) or
reference it semni-anonymously (which is what was done in my first example).

But to suggest there COULD be a name for the "second subscript" is to imply
that this second subscript is part of one big multidimensional array,
instead of being a separate data structure that is merely referenced in the
main array.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])