Re: [MacPerl] O_RDWR | O_CREAT

At 08:13 -0400 98/06/16, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
> At 10:20 AM -0700 6/15/98, Vicki Brown wrote:

> } Since there is no sys/fcntl.h on a Mac, I'd really appreciate some brief
> } explanation of how these actually get set / are implemented under

> Find file is your friend...

Yes, but _finding_ it wasn't the problem. :-)

> If you search for "Fcntl", you'll find the shared library sitting in your
>auto folder.

Been there; done that... also found fcntl.al under POSIX

> Matthias doesn't include the
> .xs for this, but if I assume it's the same idea as Socket.xs, which I
>have
> looked at.  It basically just "asks C" when the lib is compiled for the
> appropriate numerical values for all the constants, so that it gets them
> right for your particular OS.

Now we're getting somewhere... :-)

> Go to CPAN and download a copy of the Perl distribution.  It's got to be
>in there

(Eureka :-) Which means it's handled when the Perl source is complied.
Since the Perl source is written in C, this makes a certain amount of
sense; C would know...

Thank you

> At 08:22 -0500 98/06/16, Chris Nandor wrote:
> > It is all in the MacPerl source distribution ...  :)

I have done C.  I will probably do C again (if I can't dodge fast enough :-)
This does not mean I _enjoy_ C.

I can deal with RTFM; I draw the line at "use the source, Luke!" Sometimes
it's easier to ask a few pointed questions than to spend many more hours
tracking through the jungle... the simple answer may be sufficient (I
really don't need to see the actual assignment code).

- V.
---
Vicki Brown, vlb@cfcl.com        |\      _,,,---,,_
Journeyman Sourceror      ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
Scripts & Philtres             |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb      '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
P.O. Box 1269 San Bruno, CA  94066