Re: [MacPerl] Frontier / AppleScript / Perl comparison chart

Chris Nandor wrote:

> Frontier took about 14 seconds.  AppleScript about 7.  MacPerl was about 1
> second.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas, of ways to quantify speed differences?

It is too bad that C<use Benchmark;> could not be employed here.

See also:

   http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/bwk/interps/pap.html

wherein perl beat out C in I/O (but did lose out in many other tests) owing
to the fact that perl consumes such huge quantities of memory.

I noted at  http://pudge.net/macperl/comparisons.html
that:

                          Frontier                          MacPerl
Built-in outliner         Yes                               N/A
Built-in menu editor      Yes
Built-in object database  Yes                               N/A

Q: While not "built-in" does the Storable module provide an "object database"
equivalent?  Also:  Do any of Devel::* provide "outliner" functionality, or
is that a code sensitive editor thingy?  Basically I am asking, are there
in fact CPAN modules (not necessarily ported to the Mac yet) that provide
these capabilities?

Peter Prymmer
pvhp@forte.com