[MacPerl] Variables and References

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how I might do the following.  I am
currently working at a company running off Linux (a aplogize because this is
not mac-specific, but you folks are a far better listgroup than any others)
and I would like to replace a variable without necessarily knowing what the
variable is.  Let me explain briefly.

A file contains:

--x--

and I want to replace it with:

$x

so I write a line that states:

I have to do that for a lot of diffent values, so I would like to standardize
it.  The item between the dashes will always be the same as the name of the
variable which is replacing it.  Can I somehow point to the variable with a
reference of some sort.  I have not worked much with references and pointers
so I am not totally clear how this might work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

P.S. My question is not really mac-specific, so I am happy to take it off-list.