Re: [MacPerl] Non-US Characters

Takashi Ikemi wrote:
>Yup, and let me just add another goody : Jedit - a popular Japanese text
>editor (shareware). Jedit detects the type of encoding and line break at
>opeing files and can convert it to mac text (SJIS+CR). At saving files,
>conversly, it allows you to convert to any other combination of encoding
>and line break (EUC+LF for Unix, SJIS+CRLF for dos, etc). It also has
>strong regexp find & replace, which might be convenient when writing perl
>code.
>
>Jedit has now been upgraded to Jedit2, far more enhanced than ever including
>Unicode support and 2-byte regexp etc.

I agree with Takashi on Jedit. It is a pretty stable editor with many nice
features. If you can read Japanese-menus Jedit will be the editor of choice.
If you copy the resources of "MPW Technicolor 0.9.6" to the resource fork
of Jedit you get some basic keyword coloring for perl as well.

Anyway, there is a new competitor: KingsEdit.

Japanese Version:
http://www.sannet.ne.jp/userpage/warajy/archive/dirhead.html

English Version (not the full Verion):
infomac (/text/kings-edit-12b.hqx)

Not as stable as Jedit but if the development process continues with the
same speed Jedit will loose some market share very soon.
KingsEdit(J) supports JGawk and Sed. The MacPerl support is far from beeing
satisfactory but in progress.
I think we should have a close look on this editor.

(Under OS 8 with JLK still unstable. Don't know the behavior under KanjiTalk)

still using Jedit but,....well,...., KingsEdit gives you a really good feeling.

Andreas Marcel