[MacPerl] Book & script

Just some positive feedback; in two almost unrelated incidents, I
finished a Perl utility script for some file archiving I've been
doing, and bought the famous MacPerl: Power and Ease book. :-)

Having been a programmer for 28 years, it never ceases to distress
me how little maturity is shown by most modern programming languages.
In several instances during the writing of my archive script, I
was uncertain how to implement a construct in Perl, so I tried what
looked like the "obvious" way.  I'm not talking about "if-else" or
parameter passing, either, but rather complex stuff involving file
handles and split functions.  Astonishingly (to this cynic), my
guesses were correct every time.  To me, this means that someone
went to a lot of trouble designing the language and its parser so
that they act sensibly. (duh!).

Anyway, kudos to Matthias for making a powerful tool integrate so
seamlessly to MacOS.  Surely I'll find rough edges some day, but so
far the journey has been delightful.

I'm still skimming the book, but so far it's been very enlightening
(no surprises; I dl'ed the HTML version a long time ago.  I just
decided to be honest and buy the darn thing :)

--
| Greg Dunn                        | "Information is not knowledge; |
| GregDunn@aol.com                 | knowledge is not wisdom;       |