Re: [MacPerl] Current Instruction for Building MacPerl?

Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com> writes:
>Nothing has really changed.  I built MacPerl 5.2.0r4 from the same
>instructions I put in the book.
>
>I am hoping that another part of the moving to perl5.005 process will be to
>remove the reliance on obsolete libraries.

I am interested in beginning to write XS's for MacPerl.  I have no reason
to want to build MacPerl; the binaries as provided are just all right with
me.  I am assuming that I will be able to load my XS's dynamically, and
thus won't need to rebuild MacPerl; is that a reasonable assumption?

In MPPE, the instructions for building MacPerl and creating an XS are given
together, and I couldn't easily determine where one started and the other
stopped.  Are the obsolete libraries necessary for de novo creation of a
simple XS?

I think there will be many more people interested in writing an XS than in
building MacPerl.  Is it possible that a future version of MPPE, or a
follow-on book or a posting or something could contain a simplified
explanation of creating an XS in the absence of a rebuild?

THANKS!

-David-

David Steffen, Ph.D.
President, Biomedical Computing, Inc. <http://www.biomedcomp.com/>