Re: [MacPerl] Whither MacPerl?

At 15.43 -0400 1998.07.19, Vincent Nonnenmacher wrote:
>yes but it also show the 'ecology' of such collaboration and sharing
>mechnism used by free software initiatives. When a CPAN module don't work
>on a mac it is YOUR responsibality to make it works and signal
>modifications to the author for further releases. And not blamming the ones
>that actively does the breadbord and fantastic job of making perl working
>on your favorite platform.
>
>It is also useless to blem the authors of such module because they don't
>have access to a mac. However it is true that sometimes the author didn't
>see any interest in making modification for such a 'niche' machine but
>there is no solution here other than a making a parralell or better module.

Well, it is for these reasons that I helped start CPAN Testers ... several
modules that were not Mac-compatible now are, or will be soon.  Also, I
have and am still building binary versions of some of the modules that need
compilation (expect to see more soon), and I wrote perlport.pod which is
now in the perl5.004_75 distribution and helps programmers write better
portable code, and I am going to help make the standard modules in 5.005
work with MacPerl, and feed the changes back to p5p.  Oh, and I will be
speaking at the Perl Conference on this very topic, in a session with
Sarathy Gurusamy called "Portable Perl".

All this to say that the need to make MacPerl work with more Perl, and vice
versa, is not lost on me; and if this all concerns you as it does me, then
find a way to pitch in and help.  Don't make me do it all, because it won't
get done.  :-)

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])