[Fwd: Re: [MacPerl] CGI/gif]

After reading Jeff's answer I thought I'd throw in my $0.02 worth:

Strider,

It would be much easier for you to generate a GIF file and not include
it into the rest of your program.  You can still load the file in via
the sysopen, sysread, and close statements.  Once you have loaded the
file you can also manipulate it however you want.  But if you load in
the GIF file to the script itself - this will cause you no end of
problems.  Mainly because of the various control codes which will appear
in the GIF file itself.  This is not to mention the fact that you will
have to determine where you want the file split (since you really do not
want a single 8k line stretching across your screen), how you will
handle the returns which then become embedded in the GIF image because
of the above, how you will be able to determine if the image is correct
or not still (since if you go from a Mac to an IBM the information may
not transfer properly because you will be translating it as TEXT instead
of a BINARY file, and other problems.

Believe me - leave the GIF files as binary files.  It doesn't take but a
few milliseconds to read them into a program and _then_ do whatever it
is you want to do with them.  :-)