Re: [MacPerl] New User's MacPerl Questions

On 9/15/98 10:10 PM David Rouse wrote:

>1) Is there an extension or AppleScript for BBEdit to run/syntax check
>MacPerl scripts that I'm editing in BBEdit?

Yes. A search for +macperl +bbedit at www.infoseek.com returns many
sites. Try:
http://www.cortx.com/~tiberio/infomac/text/bbe/macperl-bbedit-extensions.sh
tml

>2) My UNIX-centric learning Perl book uses something like system('date')
>get the date from the machine. When I do this I always get a -1. I guess
>my question is -- where in the documentation does it cover finding the
>date and assigning it to a variable?

If you're book tells you that's the way to get the date, throw it out.
system() excecutes a command on the native OS's command line (see the
problem?). Use the builtin perl command localtime() instead.

--David