Re: [MacPerl] Text manipulation, grep, expressions, etc.

At 12.43 -0400 1998.09.20, BP wrote:
>Okay, being new to MacPerl and the list I'm hoping I don't get flamed too
>badly. I'm looking for a script which can take about 1200 lines of text,
>find the 2nd or 3rd tabbed word as DOWN or UP, copy these lines, paste them
>into a document, calculate the number of lines with "DOWN" and then
>calculate the difference between two occurances of "down" then "up". I've
>tried with AppleScript but the files are too big for any decent applications
>to extract the text. I've tried with BBEDIT manually then importing into FM
>Pro but it will take all day to convert the spaces into tabs and delete the
>other spaces, what's the point  scripting in this instance?
>
>Does anyone have a similar script for MacPerl or even maybe a similar script
>that works with the log printed from Intermapper?

The program you are looking for is called MacPerl.  Really, your needs are
so specific that I don't see how any script could exist that would do what
you want; you would need to learn Perl and write it yourself, or get a Perl
programmer to do it for you.  But yes, this task is not at all difficult
for Perl to handle.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])