Re: [MacPerl] CGI.s on local Mac

>In article <mac-perl.199810211646.MAA26578@gw.spectrumtelecorp.com>, Paul
>Miller <pmiller@spectrumtelecorp.com> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone else have their webserver hang up when doing this? I'm using
>>Quid Pro Quo, but it seems that everything "TCP/IP-related" stops dead
>>when I'm not actually hooked up.
>
>I've noticed this with the MacPerl Web Server (has anyone heard any news
>on this lately--is it still being developed?). If I work disconnected to
>the internet, it takes forever for the server to respond. If I acutally
>modem in and then just configure the server to work from whatever IP
>address I've been dynamically allocated, it works just fine.
>
>NetPresentz seem to show signs of this too, although I haven't tried using
>it while connected via PPP.

its the webserver trying to look its domain name up.

you can fool it by setting up a tcp configuration with a manually assigned
ip address, and then stick an entry in the hosts file in the system folder
assigning a name to the ip address you've given yourself.

(or by running a local dns)

cheers

Iain