Re: [MacPerl] The long way to build XSUBs (LONG EMAIL)

Arved Sandstrom <Arved_37@chebucto.ns.ca> writes:
>This is how I've been building XSUBs for PPC. I'm just putting it out
>there for sake of discussion. I'm not a trained CompSci type; it's all OJT
>(my background is physics). So if you see something bizarre, please
>chastise me gently. :-)

Thanks for taking the effort to write this down. I'm learning a lot about build
process improvement from such protocols.

>*IF* I had been building from scratch, I'd be running Codewarrior MPW and
>the current directory would be MACPERL_SRC:perl:lib:ext.

But this directory is picked by choice, right? There should be no requirements
anywhere in the distribution enforcing a particular choice of locations.

>We'll now return to module Devel::Peek, by Ilya Zakharevitch. I take the
>.pm and .xs files and put them in folder MACPERL_SRC:perl:lib:ext:Devel.

And presumably also Makefile.PL.

> I also get "typemap" and "xsubpp" from lib:ExtUtils and throw them in here,
> too (I like having everything right there).

Ouch! Bad idea. Do you have any reason for doing this?

>Since it's the next step in "perlxstut", go ahead and run 'perl
>Makefile.PL': you'll get Makefile.mk which is very handy to look at.
>(Modifying this method, look in here to see what to do for other targets).
>This is where I part ways with the easy way to do it - I don't have dmake, for
>starters.

Why not, if I may ask?

>DISCLAIMER: I'm using CW Pro 3 with IDE 3.1. These libraries work for *ME*
>with Devel::Peek. At other times I've found that -@export NewModule.exp
>works fine instead of diving into the .c file and looking at what symbols
>to export specifically.

NewModule.exp is built by the Makefile.pm, using Mksymlists.

>Once this is done, I copy the Peek.pm to MacPerl:lib:Devel:, and copy the
>shared lib to MacPerl:lib:MacPPC:auto:Devel:Peek:, and call it Peek.

Yup.

Matthias

   "One fine day in my odd past..." -- Pixies, _Planet of Sound_