Re: [MacPerl] StuffIt on Unix

Michael Stoodt <mstoodt@umassd.edu> writes:
>Jay Bedsole writes:
> > ... One of my unix
> > gurus claims that he thinks he knows of a sit expander that might
> > run on a unix box (tenuous optimism). If he turns up the name of
> > the tool, I'll pass it on to Xah privately, unless others are
> > interested.

Doesn't exist for versions >1.x.

>In the days of Stuffit 1.5(.1), when it was Raymond Lau's shareware
>and not Aladdin's commercial product (with shareware subsets), the
>file format and algorithm was documented, and a Unix unstuffer was
>available in source code.

Yes, but I'm not sure if this was due to the goodness of Raymond's heart or to
the fact that Stuffit 1.x used UNIX compress format with an archive header that
was simple to reverse engineer. I don't think any of the format documentations
were done or authorized by Aladdin.

Matthias

  "And that's why I am going to turn this world upside down, and make
   of it a fire so *bright* that someone real will notice"
                                -- Vernor Vinge, _Tatja Grimm's World_