Re: [MacPerl] >Dev:Console, Sorting, and Graphics

In article <mac-perl.E0zekBV-0001os-00@relay02.equinox.net>, "William H.
Asquith" <asquith@macconnect.com> wrote:

>2) Desperately seeking help on sorting.  How do I sort one array AND
>reshuffle one or more other arrays along with the sorted array?   How do I
>sort a multidimensional array on a single index?  I've read up on sort
>through the Perl books and can't figure this one out.  I could mimic some
>numerical recipes in FORTRAN but want to do it the Perl Way.

As an aside, O'Reilly has a perl algrithms book forthcoming, but it
probably won't help you with this since it isn't due out until next year.

>3) Desparately needing on-the-fly scatter and line plot capability from a
>either a MacPerl script or a call to Applescript and Mac applications.
>Suggestions?  Otherwise, I need to find a commercial package that can
>reference an ASCII file for data instead of loading the data directly into
>the program.  This way, my MacPerl scripts just simply update the ASCII file
>and any plots derived from the files will be updated when opened or printed.
>I'm using Kalidagraph currently, but doesn't allow for this.  Excel is even
>worse.

I might be misunderstanding, but Kaleidagraph does allow you to plot data
from ASCII files, although I don't know if you can drive it via
AppleEvents.

You might also want to look at pro Fit, at

        http://www.quansoft.com/

It claims to have extensive AppleScript support. I haven't used it, but I
hear it is pretty nice. (There is currently a thread on
comp.sys.mac.scitech about scientific graphing application, if you are
interested in further recommendations.)