[MacPerl] Splice troubles

Hi all

&stdNewbieApologies; #;-)

I'm using a plain-text file (eg 'file.dat') as a simple database, and
reading the text into an array such that each line becomes an new array
item. (Learning Perl p56)
So far so good, but I want to remove an array item (eg
@recordSet[$lineNumber]) from the file and thought I could use something
like:

open (APPEND, "+<file.dat");
@arrayOfLines = <APPEND>;

print APPEND (splice (@arrayOfLines, 2));

#which in my stumbling Perl is supposed to say
#remove the line with index 2 from the file

and which <irony>strangely enough,<\irony> isn't working....

Can someone help?

Lachlan Scott

p.s. if they were only running that Perl course in Boulder next month,
I'd go. But it's one thing to want to study programming in Boulder, and
quite another to go to *Chicago* in mid-December... >;-)

Lachlan Scott
Global Markets Research (GMR)
Jurgen Ponto Platz, 1. (26.110)
Tel:	+49 (0)69 263 12903