[MacPerl] MacPerl speed vs MachTen FORTRAN

I'm building 20000 line arrays for some statistical research.  I have
working algorithms in FORTRAN, which I'm running under MachTen 4.1.  Speed
is reasonable for each build of the array.  I'm excited about MacPerl and
decided yesterday to port the FORTRAN to MacPerl.  Now the array builds much
slower.  I've changed a DO (ie FOR) loop to a WHILE (supposed to be faster
from Programming Perl) and am PUSHing each element onto the array.  This
speed things up a little bit, I think.

Basically, my question to all of you is: Should I expect MacPerl to run
slower than FORTRAN on MachTen?  Seems amazing to me since I'd expect
working in the native MacOS to be faster than an emulated Unix.

Below is the salient code frag.
   while( $i <= ($nF-1) ) {
#      print STDOUT "  BETAINVER i = $i\n";
      $x = $i*$dF;
      $F = &BETAI($a,$b,$x);
      if($F == -9999) {
         $flag = -9999;