[MacPerl] Unlocking files

Before someone yells RTFM, I did try chmod(0666,$file);
But the command always dies instead.  I can unlock the file in ResEdit,
but not through MacPerl.  The stange thing is, when I try to lock a file
using the Get Info box, I get a dialog that says that I do not have
enough permissions to lock or unlock a file.  But I have no problem when
using ResEdit.

Any ideas?

--