[MacPerl] MPW (was: command line interface?)

At 13:43 -0800 12/16/98, Larry Moore wrote:
> >But if you want MPW, it's free these days. Not easy to find, though...
> >http://developer.apple.com/dev/tools/mpw-tools/

> I hope you don't mind the newbie question but are all the files in
> /MPW_Website_Downloads/* necessary and what's the procedure for installing
> them?

Current directory is
/developer/Tool_Chest/Core_Mac_OS_Tools/MPW_etc./MPW-GM

Two folders here:
     Interfaces&Libraries
     MPW

I believe from what other folks have sadi that unless you plan to play with
C/Pascal/C++ you can ignore Interfaces&Libraries.  Go into MPW.

Current directory is
/developer/Tool_Chest/Core_Mac_OS_Tools/MPW_etc./MPW-GM/MPW

>From here I would take MPW_Shell.sit.hqx, Scripts.sit.hqx,
ToolServer.sit.hqx and the entire Tools directory.

MPW users - anything else?

Disclaimer: I'm a 15-year Unix user and I happen to _like_ Unix a lot.  I'm
also very familiar with how Unix tools work. For this reason, I find MPW to
be distracting, weird, and poorly designed.  I know wwhere it's available,
I periodically download it, and I keep a copy on disk (I have a 6GB drive
:-) but I very rarely use it and can't reliably answer technical questions
about it.  That's probably why my MPW folder is so large; I just download
everything (Thanks to Thomas Kimpton for the details on what to keep/toss!)

- Vicki

      |\      _,,,---,,_      Vicki Brown
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_  Journeyman Sourceror: Scripts & Philtres
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb    vlb@cfcl.com
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)  Unix is User Friendly... It's just not
                      promiscuous about the users it is friendly with