Re: [MacPerl] MacCPAN Comments

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, David Turley wrote:

> In message "[MacPerl] MacCPAN Comments", Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>
> >But this morning, as a result of this thread, I spent less than 20 minutes
> >downloading and installing ActiveState Build508 (a 5.00502 Perl), and
> >*also* querying the ActiveState package repository, and using PPM to
> >download and install 3 non-XS packages (I only have CW on the particular
> >machine, and PPM looks to build with VC++ or the like), *and* run a few
> >test scripts (just extracting the Synopsis, usually).
>
> FWIW, you do not need a compiler to install any modules that are listed in
> the package repository. I have installed GD,TK, DBI, and DBD::* among
> others with no compiler at hand. I think this is what MACPAN should/is
> shoot(ing) for.

Yeah, you're right, and I sort of alluded to that later on in the email.
I'd seen from earlier exepriments with XS modules on Windows that CW
wasn't going to cut it without some Makefile hacking, and I just naturally
assumed (dangerous thing) that XS modules in the respository still needed
to be built on the target (a la Unix).

But then I saw that at laest one of my downloads had a DLL in it, and I
realized what PPM and ActiveState were doing, hence my later comments. But
as regards your last sentence, that's essentially my point, too - what PPM
is doing, and what ActiveState is doing with the package repository on
their site, is a worthy target for us to shoot for.

IMHO. Arved