Re: [MacPerl] E-Commerce

Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com>, wrote:
>At 11.10 -0500 1999.01.18, Stephan Anstey wrote:
>>Beyond just 'are there any available' because I know there are a couple
>>available, what are the best Perl ecommerce packages?
>
>What is an ecommerce package?

I can't actually answer Stephan's question because I haven't used any of
the Perl-based E-commerce packages, but in answer to Chris' question, an
e-commerce package is a collection of programs that allow you to take
orders via a web page, and make all the financial transactions involved
with running your own online store in a secure manner.  I'm not certain
that a perl-based package would be as helpful on a Mac server, but give a
Unix box, I'd say go for it.  The different packages use different
business models, as to how they are set up and how the business customer
pays for them.

Beyond this the discussion tends to get too off-topic.

I can't necessarily see where Perl would be any better or worse for this
kind of work.  If you can do PGP encryption with Perl, and CGI with Perl
and Database with Perl, you can build a complete e-commerce package.  Of
course, as Stephan notes, there are already a couple available.

--Brian