Re: [MacPerl] How to extend the Mac toolbox in MacPerl

At 20.52 -0500 1999.01.27, Lawson English wrote:
>That's a bit klunky and I did it that way because HyperTalk wasn't designed
>to handle the addition of about 400-500 new function calls via a library.
>The only Perl book I have is _Perl 5 Complete_ by Edward Peschko & Michele
>DeWolfe, which doesn't go into how to add compiled libraries that I have
>found  and isn't Mac-specific anyway.
>
>Any advice on how to add an entirely new API to MacPerl would be much
>appreciated.

Start with MacPerl: Power and Ease as a general MacPerl book, which has
some information on doing XS stuff and including XFCNs.  Then read this
mailing list for discussion of doing more XS stuff, which Arved is kinda
spearheading right now in "XS for the Masses" or somesuch.  :)

It is hard to say where to go ... I think looking at other XS code is the
best way to start.  Look at the MacPerl files that end in .xs in your
lib:Mac: directory, and look at modules like AudioCD::Mac and compiled
binaries in my CPAN directory.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])