Re: [MacPerl] CPAN.pm in offline mode?

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 09:49:48AM +0000, Bart Lateur wrote:
} I don't have a modem on my Mac (I have 2 PC's, both WITH a modem, so I
} don't need yet another modem, thank you), so the discussion about Chris
} Nandor's CPAN.pm port was a bit over my head.
}
} I probably didn't get it quite correctly, but I expect that you ask it
} to install a module for you, it connects to a CPAN site, downloads the
} necessary files, and then installs them. Right?

More than that, but that's one of the things it doesn.

}
} Well, obviously, that's not at all usable for me. But I think it's a bit
} of a waste not to be able to use any of it at all. Besides, I hate it
} when my computer tries to connect to Internet without me explicitely
} asking it to do that. After all, this is not America! ;-)
}
} So I wonder if it's functionality couldn't be split into different
} parts, so that:
}
}  * It gives you a list of what modules it wants, and then quits;
}  * You manually download the modules; or you might get them from a
} CD-ROM;
}  * You start up CPAN.pm again, and this time you give it the location
} for the modules you downloaded. Then, it goes ahead and installs them.
}
} Is this feasable? Anybody else thinks this would be useful?

Chris has already done something like that.  In cpan-mac-0.21 there's
a droplet called "installme", which, I believe, unpacks and installs
any *.tar.gz from CPAN that you drop on it.

}
} 	Bart.

Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com