Re: [MacPerl] Distributables?

On 1/29/99 at 2:06 AM, langfml [at] eng [dot] auburn [dot] edu (Matthew Langford) wrote:

>And if you aren't getting paid to write code, then you better be getting
>paid for the code you wrote.  Back to distributables, source code hidden.
>
>Sure, people can get in a locked car, or a locked building, but that
>doesn't stop me from locking both house and car.  Nor do I consider the
>automakers foolish and paranoid for including locks on cars and trying to
>upgrade the security of the locking systems.

Again as a MacPerl and Perl (on Solaris, mostly) user:

If a script (or other custom software) isn't in plain text I feel I could just
as well buy shrinkwrapped software, stumble thorough writing it myself or do
without. There have been too many times where companies have gotten stuck,
badly, when their developer dies, moves away, takes a full-time job etc.

What I really like about perl solutions is that I can treat buying software like
buying a car. In other words, look under the hood, add mods and fix it myself.
If I had to buy a car that could only be fixed by the dealer, never be modified
by myself, etc., I might not. Naturally I drive a 72 VW Bug, and I think that
the lock on the door is for my protection, not VW's.

David Rouse