Re: [MacPerl] Distributables?

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:39:32 -0600 (CST), Matthew Langford wrote:

>Great.  I agree.  But we are computer geeks.  There are situations where
>people are not in a position to use the source:  they don't need or want a
>programmer on-staff.  That's who shrinkwrapped software is for.

The world upside down.

Note that, if you have ONE executable, it's easier to copy, than if you
have an intransparent set of installation files.

A file that needs to be installed at some unknown place (e.g. in the
System Folder) for the script to work, is enough to scare most of those
casual users/copiers.The error codes as given by MacPerl are enough to
give them the creeps.

And if they're smart enough to find out where to find that file, they're
smart enough to tweak the code.

After all, one such file was how VB3, on the PC, differentiated between
standard and professional user.

	Bart.