Re: [MacPerl] Distributables?

At 15.51 -0500 1999.01.29, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
>>From: Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com>
>
>> CDs are not relevant to this discussion
>
>Why not? All of the software I intstalled on my current system wants the CD
>in the drive to install, and most of it want's the CD to run the first time
>too.

Because we are talking specifically about shareware apps bought through
Kagi or somesuch, and distributed over the Internet.

>I don't think you get the idea of progressive barriers.

That's nice.

>As someone else
>commented, just because a good thief can pick my locks, doesn't mean I'm not
>going to lock my doors.

I have not seen any substantive proof that shareware with strong locks gets
more money than shareware with no locks.  In fact, I posit the exact
opposite: you are more likely to get more money without any locks than with
strong locks, because your software will get used more by more people,
increasing the liklihood that someone will give you money for it.

You keep forgetting that people who don't want to pay for your software
simply won't, unless they have to.  Unless your software is so great that
people have to have it, if they don't want to buy it, they will not.  They
will use something else, or pirate it.

If you think that someone who does not want to buy your software will pay
you for it if you make it impossible to use without payment, you are wrong.
If you think that someone who would buy it won't pay you if they don't have
to, you are wrong.  People who want to pay do.  People who don't don't.

And there is one more point to bring up.  You talk about people who can't
figure out what warez are; are these people going to somehow break weak
security code you write in a MacPerl program?  Of course not.  Go ahead and
write weak security code that anyone can bypass if they know how.  Because
people who don't know how won't, and people who do know how could bypass it
if it were a lot stronger.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])