Re: [MacPerl] FNG

At 23.27 -0500 1999.01.27, Ronald J. Kimball wrote:
>Chris Nandor wrote:
>> I don't get it.  This doesn't answer the question of which is preferred,
>> number or string, if neither has been used and both are set.  At least, I
>> don't think it does.
>
>Based on the observed results, I'd say the number is preferred.  :-)

Well, sure, but I was saying the Camel doesn't seem to comment on it.

>Actually, I don't think that "used" has a precise meaning.  The bitwise
>operators might determine if a scalar has been "used" as a number based
>just on whether the scalar has a cached numeric value.  If that is the
>case, since SV_NO does have a numeric value, it has been "used" as a
>number.  So ~ treats it as a number, not as a string.

Right, used is imprecise (to me, anyway).  That is saying "print $x" will
not change anything that I can see.  ~ will still treat it as a number.
Even saying $x . ' ' will still cause ~ to treat it as a number.  But if $x
= '', saying $x + 0 will also cause it to be treated as a number by ~.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])