Re: [MacPerl] Building MacPerl Extentions

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Dave Tilley wrote:

>   When installing the most recent MacPerl package, MPW tool, and MacPerl
> Sources, which folders should be where?  That is, should the
> MacPerl_Sources folder be inside the MacPerl Folder, or the other way
> around, or should they both be at the same level of the hard disk.

Leave them as you get them (as they're installed). So, MacPerl folder and
MacPerl_Src are usually separate folders at the top level of your HD.

When I actually do builds, the current build folder - say, NewModule - is
in the folder HD:MacPerl_Src:perl:ext.

> Step#9 -- I can't find NuToolLibs.o dated Dec 13,1994 anywhere, although
> i can find one from 1996 on the CW11 CD....Will this do? If not, where
> *does* one obtain this version of NuToolLibs.o???

You've missed a few XS Lite instalments... :-) Seriously, what are you
building? Unless you're looking to rebuild MacPerl itself, odds are you
don't need NuToolsLibs.o (I've got a copy of this myself, of some
uncertain vintage).

 > Step#10 -- How does one resolve the bad XLFolder references
without > having this magic CD?

???? I don't understand "bad" XL folder. You mean you don't have one? It's
in MacPerl_Src. Or it's not being found?

> Any help or advice on how to set up/install/configure MacPerl and
> Sources for creating extentions would be welcome.

I won't comment on the initial installation and configuration, but as
far as building extensions, I've had a few installments on doing precisely
this on the mailing list so far, for folks who have Codewarrior. See if
you can dig up the posts.

What platform are you on? PPC or CFM68K? If your extension involves a
single XS file, and no external library, email it if you like and I'll
take a look.

Arved