Re: [MacPerl] looking at Mac OS X

At 9:27 AM -0500 1/28/99, Richard Gordon wrote:

} To move this just a bit back on topic, I do like Linux, but have thus far
} not come across any non-server Linux apps that I consider as intuitive (or
} productive) as comparable Mac apps. To focus on Perl/MacPerl, I realize that
} Emacs is very powerful and I assume that it is one of the first choices for
} someone writing Perl in unix, but I personally am much more comfortable in
} the BBEdit/MacPerl environment (which may be a little more stable now that
} BBE 5.02 is out). Maybe that's just the difference between years of BBEdit
} use vs. 6 mos. of Emacs exposure on my part.

I'm learning to use LyX right now, which looks to be a very powerful word
processor like front end to LaTeX.  LaTeX, of course, produces output that
puts any word processor to shame, especially if you're doing mathematics.
The only MacOS equivalent is TeXtures, which costs plenty.  The gimp has
it's fans; I don't have much use for it. emacs is the most powerful editor
that I've ever used.  (I've known people to use it as their login shell.)
Other than that, I have to agree.  When I'm running Linux I miss Eudora and
MT Newswatcher.

}
} BTW, you got me- what is SheepShaver?

MacOS emulator for LinuxPPC.  So far it's vaporware, but it already runs
under BeOS, so it will actually happen some day.  The word is this year
sometime.

}
} Richard Gordon
} Gordon Consulting & Design
} Voice: 770-565-8267  Fax: 770-971-6887

-----
Paul J. Schinder
schinder@pobox.com