Re: [MacPerl] is there a logging module available?

At 12:59 -0400 4/17/99, Chris Nandor wrote:
> At 08.51 -0400 1999.04.16, Stéphane Jose wrote:
>>In what I am trying to achieve, several asynchronous requests to my cgi
>>script will be logged in one single text file. I am looking for a solution
>>that does not rely on any system calls that are not cross platform.
>>
>>Does anyone know of an already made solution?
>
> There is no good cross-platform way to do it that I know of.  You would
> need to rely on a separate process (syslogd) or use file locking, to make
> sure that the process don't bump heads.

In terms of cross-platform file locking (as all Perl's don't support flock)
consider using semaphore files. If you're not experienced with file locking
using semaphore files, take a look at Mark-Jason Dominuis' tutorial at
http://www.plover.com/~mjd/perl/TPC/1998/Hardware-notes.html#Semaphore_Files
---
      |\      _,,,---,,_       Vicki Brown <vlb@cfcl.com>
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   Journeyman Sourceror: Scripts & Philtres
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb  http://www.macperl.org