[MacPerl] Re: Folder actions

Vicki Brown wrote:

> Here's the deal:
>
> We have a server (Mac OS 8.5) with shared volumes. Among those is a shared
> volume containing drop boxes (folders) for everyone in the company (it's a
> small company ;-)
>
> A user has asked if there is a way that she can be notified when a file is
> dropped into her drop box.
>
> The answer should be yes... but I am at a loss as to the implementation. It
> probably involves AppleScript :-)
>
> The server runs OS 8.5 so Folder Actions are enabled (cute idea, that :-).
> It's "my" server so MacPerl is installed. Eudora is site-licensed so I can
> install Eudora on this machine if that is necessary to get the notification
> sent to the user. Eudora appears to be quite scriptable.
>
> Hints, suggestions, code snippets, discussion, or viable solutions all
> accepted graciously.

How about running the cron for Mac from Info-Mac and have that launch
a script that periodically does a readdir() on the folder in question
and compares the list returned to one from a disk file.  If there is a
difference use Net::SMTP to mail out the diff and also update the disk file.

Peter Prymmer