Re: [MacPerl] while (1) { $i++, $a{ $i } = $i } crashes

Well, mine G3 is platinum. Also 8.5.1.  This code "works" for me as well
(the things we do in the name of science :-)

Actually, the first run just runs. Prints a bunch of numbers, then stops.
The bar in "About this Macintosh" does not quite go to the end.

The _second_ time I run the script, it's all over. Hang, crash, whatever
you call it. No MacsBug. 3-fingered reboot.

But Norton Utilities 4.0 reports no problems with my filesystems (all HFS+
by the way).

The behaviour is different booted w/o extensions. (No virtual memory).
First time I try to run the script, the About This Computer screen doesn't
change, but I get an almost instantaneous notice from MacPerl: Out of
Memory!

Again, the second time I launch the script, that's all folks.

Some day we'll have protected memory.

Back to work.

- Vicki
---
      |\      _,,,---,,_       Vicki Brown <vlb@cfcl.com>
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   Journeyman Sourceror: Scripts & Philtres
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb  http://www.macperl.org