Re: [MacPerl] imageMagick

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Christian Huldt wrote:

> I just saw that there is a mac port of imageMagick
> http://www.wizards.dupont.com/cristy/ImageMagick.html
>
> which includes a perl module...
> http://www.wizards.dupont.com/cristy/www/perl.html
>
> Has anyone built thye xs part for the mac?

If one was to target the functionality that comprises the 5 command-line
tools that are available as Mac console apps, yes, this would be quite
doable. I have had ImageMagick for quite a while, and took a gander at the
source last year.

One of the sticking points of building the XS is that the current MacPerl
module porting effort is only really justified (I think) in putting
binaries up on CPAN *if* the CPAN distribution is complete, that is,
everything needed to make the binary is in the distribution.

PerlMagick and a host of other useful libraries expect the user to have
certain stuff as prerequisites. On Unix, if you've got 'em, build away.
:-) On other platforms, if no compiler, you're out of luck.

Myself, if someone had a site where we could put this category of things,
I'd suggest PerlMagick, pdflib and clibpdf, just for starters. There are
quite a few more.

Arved