Re: [MacPerl] Database Connectivity

At 12:43 -0700 5/4/1999, Nathaniel Irons wrote:

>FileMaker's ODBC client support, that is, FileMaker acting as an ODBC client
>to another datasource, is not beta and was the major feature in 4.1.  I've
>never used it.

As least out of the box, the client support in 4.1 is not live SQL
and, as far as I am concerned, is useless.

>FileMaker's ODBC server support is the "technology preview" they released last
>week.  I got excited, until I noticed it was limited to a single machine - the
>"ODBC companion" still doesn't let FileMaker serve via ODBC over a network.
>That killed the appeal for me.

Yep.

>It's really not my intention to become the designated realbasic booster on the
>macperl lists, but it's worth looking into here.  It supports ODBC (as well as
>offering a number of native drivers, including oracle, postgresql, and
>microsoft's SQL server), and its interface controls are more than equal to
>creating either data-entry or reporting applications.

I started to suggest that too, but didn't want the heat. ;-] I guess
you could embed MacPerl in a RealBASIC app tho?

In any case, I agree with some others here that ODBC essentially
sucks altho I suppose it's faster than DAL.

Richard Gordon