[MacPerl] setting default file creator

Hi,

since i installed MPW (which i don't really use now) everytime i create a
file from a perl script it is saved with MPW as the default creator. From
reading the MacPerl book, i can see how to change it afterwards with
SetFileInfo, but i would like to change the default. I notice a footnote
saying you can change it with ResEdit, but not to touch it if you don't
know what to do! I have ResEdit already but have only used it previously to
look!... how much danger am i in if i try....?!? is there any info anywhere
on how to do this?

thanks

adam