[MacPerl] Cookie Expiry question

Hello folks,

I've just started using CGI.pm and in the docs it states that:

     (CGI::expires() is the static function call used
     internally that turns relative time intervals into
     HTTP dates....)

When used, this creates an expiry date in the cookie of format:

     1241299336

Could someone please point me to an explanation of how this number is
determined? What is the format of this HTTP date?

Thank you kindly,

Cheers,
Chris